Monday, October 3, 2011

Invitation

It comes when least expected.
In the middle of the night
I awaken, dream pictures
drifting away,
and on the edge of consciousness,
"Follow me."
At my computer
pondering how to respond
to a difficult message,
the reminder,
"Follow me."
Walking to the post office,
head down, worrying
this task or the other,
a gentle nudge,
"Follow me."
At the moment of temptation
to irritation--the inappropriate
remark, the socially inept
gesture--he whispers,
"Follow me."
It's there at the unanticipated
turn, the interruption,
the sudden darkness.
Throughout the day
and into the night,
alone or in a crowd,
when I'm thinking about him
and when I'm not,
the offered hand,
the quiet word, "Come.
Follow me."

Ready or not, Lord,
here I come.


(From Mark 1 & 2)

1 comment:

  1. Please don't stop writing these blogs. I'm drawing on several of them for a Bible study I'm leading on four consecutive Wednesday nights. The theme is glory. You show and tell, open and magnify, awaken and stir, disrupt and point. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete